Not going to lie, when I saw a similar recipe to this one online, I thought “muffins…with no butter, no sugar…but with sweet potato. Hmmm, I’ll give that one a miss” haha.
Luckily, I didn’t pay too much attention to myself that day and I made them anyway. PHEW! They’re now a firm staple in my diet and I would genuinely pick these over a regular muffin. They taste amazing, smell divine and the sweet potato actually satisfies my sweet cravings!
All you need: 6 basic ingredients you can pick up at any supermarket. A grater, spoon, knife & bowl. I KNOW, amazing right?!!!
An on-the-go snack, with beans for brekkie or dunked in soup at lunch. I’m fully addicted.
My Favourite Savoury Muffins
- 300 grams sweet potato
- 150 grams self raising flour
- 50 grams dairy-free mozerella – I like Asdas own
- 20 grams dairy-free hard cheese – I like Violife Parmesan style
- 2 spring onions
- 3 eggs
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tbsp seeds – e.g. sunflower, pumpkin, pine nuts
- Pre-heat your oven to 180oC.
- Peel and grate the sweet potatoes (I use the large holes on the grater).
- Chop the spring onions and chilli into small pieces. Remove the chilli seeds if you don’t like it too spicy.
- Add the spring onions, chilli, salt, all of the mozzarella and half the parmesan to the sweet potato. Mix together with a spoon.
- In a separate bowl, beat 3 eggs. Add the eggs to the sweet potato mixture and whisk until fully combined.
- Add the flour and whisk again until fully incorporated – you wont be able to see any white left from the flour.
- Scoop into 6 muffin cases. They wont rise a lot so don’t be afraid to overfill your cases!Paper cases work well but I love using silicon cases here as it leaves NOTHING on the paper so I can enjoy every crumb
- Top with the remaining parmesan and seeds.
- Bake for approx. 35mins or until a knife comes out clean
- Enjoy warm, cold or freeze until later!