And so it was born: I was sat on the sofa on NYE and my boyfriend was scoffing Sweet Chilli Sensations & red pepper hummus. I couldn’t have it because it was high fodmap & contained dairy so I was pretty desperate to make my own!!
Also, it smelt just like a delish creamy tomato pasta sauce I used to buy …and that is where this brainwave began! As soon as I’d perfected my recipe, I mixed it into this pasta and have been addicted to it ever since. Its one of those “why have I never made this before?” moments!!! A gluten free, vegan, high fibre, high protein, bowl of deliciousness!
Low FODMAP: 40g of chickpeas falls within the low fodmap requirements. I’ve added butternut to my recipe to bulk it out and make the low fodmap portion go further.
Prep Time: Takes 10 mins to make, from start to finish. Perfect for a work lunch as it takes so little time and it can be made in bulk & frozen for when required. Also tastes best cold so doesn’t have the problems you usually have when trying to re-heat gluten free pasta.
Creamy, Low FODMAP Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 can chickpeas – 400g/200g drained
- 200 grams butternut
- 150 grams roasted red peppers – for ease, mine were from a jar but you could grill until blackened & remove the skins to get the same thing
Seasoning – up to you but here’s what I like
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida – or onion/garlic powder if you can tolerate it
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Juice from half a lemon
- Drain the chickpeas
- Chop the butternut into small cubes and boil until soft (takes around 5-7mins). Drain.
- Blend all the ingredients together. Taste and add more seasoning if you’d like!
- Pour into a jar and store in the fridge until you’re ready to use. You can also portion it up & put into the freezer (I’ve used mine up to 6 months later!).