Gluten, dairy and grain free banana bread… perfect for breakfast or a healthy snack.
Funny story: I asked my dad and boyfriend to have a go at this recipe to make sure it was easy to follow. Whilst my boyfriend is capable of very basic dinners, my dad cant boil water so I thought it would be a good test! I gave them all the ingredients & my Dad put himself in charge of mashing the bananas (yes, that was his only job). Just as it was going into the oven, Dad held up one of the two bananas he had to mash and said “oh hang on, what about this?!”. YOU HAD ONE JOB! Luckily, even with half the bananas required, it still tasted delicious. Moral of the story: if Dad can (sort of) do this, you can too… just dont forget the bananas – very essential in a BANANA bread.
Haven’t got a loaf tin? Use muffin cases instead! You can also freeze me!
Date & Walnut Banana Bread
- 64 grams coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 30 grams honey
- 20 grams walnuts
- 2 overripe bananas – the more black spots the better!
- 4 eggs
- 4 dates – optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract – optional
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan).
- Prep the following 3 bowls:>Bowl 1: Peel the bananas & save half of 1 banana for later. Mash the rest with a fork into a small bowl.>Bowl 2: Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add all the vanilla & roughly 1/2 the honey. Whisk until fully combined (approx 15 secs).>Bowl 3: Sift the flour & baking powder (not essential, but adds air!).
- Spoon the banana into the egg mix.
- Add the flour & whisk until fully incorporated (approx. 30 secs)
- Optional – chop your dates into halves & stir in.
- Line a loaf tin with the baking paper, pour in the mixture & level out.
- Thinly slice the remaining banana & lay over the top (as thin as possible). Break the walnuts into pieces & scatter over the top.
- Bake for 20 mins and then remove from the oven.
- To prevent the top from burning, lay a piece of foil on top & fold over the sides to keep it in place. Bake for another 20 mins or until a knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins then move to a cooling rack.
- Drizzle the remaining honey over the top and eat!