Unexpected Places to Find Gluten at Christmas: 2022
Christmas Day can be so busy and there tends to be food everywhere so its even easier to make an mistake with one of my “unexpected placed to find gluten at Christmas”!!
I’ve included a list of Christmas related foods below, all of which could contain gluten but you might not expect it! Not ALL brands will contain gluten, but some do so its just a warning for the ones to be extra careful with!
Its broken into 3 sections: mains, drinks and snacks.
- Gravy – e.g. the fresh pots and pouches in Tesco and the Bisto powder below
- Stock cubes – e.g. Oxo cubes
- Turkey basting – if you’re at someone’s house, just double check what they’ve basted the turkey with as it might be stock cubes/gravy powder or something with flour
- Pigs in blankets – in lots of the cheaper ones
- Some antipasti platters – sometimes comes with breadsticks, would be a cross contamination risk for the other items on the platter
- Some pre-prepared veg – e.g. Morrisons often has a may contain warning
- Sauce mixes – e.g. Colman’s cauliflower cheese
- Own brand Cola – lots contain barley including Tesco and Coop
- Squash – e.g. Robinsons Barley
- Cocktails – I have a full guide to gluten free alcohol here if you’d like it. It includes a set of simple rules to follow and some extra info on unexpected places to find gluten e.g. toppers on cocktails!
- Malteser Reindeers – they look very like the Kit Kat Santa wrappers which are gluten free so it can be easy to make a mistake!
- Tree decorations – most are may contain including Dairy Milk
- Coop Frozen Party food – most of it contains gluten now 🙁
- Most Lindt – anything with barley malt is currently off the cards. More info in my Christmas chocs guide
- Dinky Deckers in Heroes – the rest are fine
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange – it’s a may contain
- Some Crisps & Nuts
- Sweets – strawberry laces, liquorice
Want some more Christmas guides?
Click here for my Complete Guide to a Gluten Free Christmas.
It includes lots of links to (hopefully) useful posts – everything from gluten free party food and chocolates to coffee shop drinks and comprehensive lists of ALL gluten free food in the supermarkets