Here’s a few bits and pieces you might find useful to help get the very best gluten free ice cream. Coeliac friendly, dairy free too! From cones and sprinkles to a list of the safe options from the ice cream man!!
(1) List of Coeliac Safe Ice Lollies
Here’s my quick list of the most popular/readily available lollies. You might find some surprising bits. This list is correct as of May 2021 – as always, check the labels for yourself just incase something has changed
- Most Magnums – loads are safe eg. double caramel. TOP TIP: If they are safe, they state “gluten free” at the end of the ingredients.
- Orange Solero
- Calippo (all flavours)
- Mini Milk
- Choc ice (most brands)
- Milky Bar White Chocolate Lolly
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Stick
- Cadbury Crunchie Blast Stick
- Snickers Ice Cream
- Skittles Ice Cream Stick Lollies
- Orange del Monte
- Screwballs (most brands)
- Rocket lolly (most brands)
- Fruit pastille (Rowntree)
- Mr Jubbly
- Haagen Dazs lollies (haven’t found one that isn’t gluten free yet!)
- Smooze lolly
- Little Moons
- Miiro (like a vegan “magnum” – on Ocado)
- Rowntrees Fruit Pastille Push Up Lollies (may contain)
- A couple of the Magnums – eg. “White Choc & Cookies”
- Traditional Cornetto (by traditional, I mean the normal aisle, non “gluten free” ones!)
- Nobbly Bobbly
- Lemonade (R Whites – May contain)
- Kit Kat Ice Lolly
- Mars Ice Lolly
- Malteser Ice Lolly
Coeliac UK actually have a list too – the most recent is from 2017 but its still a good guide! Click here.
(2) Gluten free cones exist
Yep, its true!! I’m not going to lie, its a bit like eating gluten free bread… not quite the same but better than missing out! Two brands to pick from: (1) Tesco or (2) Eskal from Amazon and H&B.
(3): Careful of CC when eating at an ice cream parlour
Its likely that not all the ice creams are gluten free & I’m 99% sure the cones wont be either. Standard rules apply – are there cone crumbs everywhere? Will they use a clean scoop for you? Maybe can you even ask them to use a fresh tub just incase?
(4) Want a bit of sauce of on your ice cream?
The Askey’s range is great! Here it is – even the toffee sauce is gluten free (but contains dairy).
(5) Want to know what the best gluten AND dairy free ice creams are?
Here’s my guide to the best gluten, dairy free ice creams around!
(6) Sprinkles aren’t always gluten free
They sometimes contain wheat. Grrrrr. Here’s one I’ve nearly slipped up on before. It’s the case with lots of Dr Oetker sprinkles.
(7) Dairy free chocolate sprinkles exist!
Wahhooooooo!! Sneaky little find in Asda yesterday.
NB: this particular brand isn’t suitable for milk allergy sufferers but I’m just intolerant and wont be consuming these in any large quantity (or maybe I will :P), so I should be fine!
(8) Want some ice cream based recipes???!
- Artic roll – gluten, dairy free and loads of fun
- My Giant Nice-Cream Choc Ice – love love loveeeee this recipe!!!
Hope this is helpful! Jess x