Gluten & dairy free, fun to make and seriously tasty. Taking me right back to the swim school dinners I had when I was 10!! When did you last eat artic roll?!! Brings back memories doesn’t it?!
I’ve included a ton of pics to help but honestly, its much easier than you’d expect. Also love the simplicity of the ingredients here.
Top tip – set a timer for 5 mins when you’re whisking the sponge ingredients. Any less than this and your sponge will be a little flat, but whisk for 5 mins and you’ll have yourself the lighest, fluffiest sponge.
Homemade Artic Roll
- 4 whole eggs
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 100 grams gluten free self raising flour
- Sprinkle golden caster sugar - for the outside of the swiss roll
The Middle – you can swap for whatever you fancy
- 100 grams strawberry jam
- 1 tub your fav ice cream - I used approx 750ml of Swedish Glace Soya Vanilla
- Make the ice cream centre by placing a large piece of cling film on the work surface and adding a line of scoops of ice cream down the middle (roughly the length of the short side of your swiss baking tray).
- Use your hands and the cling film as an aid to make it into a cylinder – sounds impossible but trust me its easy when you get started. Wrap in cling film.
- Roll with your hands to get a neater cylinder. Freeze for at least 3-4 hrs until solid.
- Preheat the oven to 170oc (fan).
- Line at 23 x 33cm swiss roll tin with baking paper. You can also use a deep baking tray of similar size (needs to be at least 2/3cm)
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar for at least 5 mins, until light and fluffy and very thick. This is realllyyyy important – set a timer! It should expand by about 3-4x, like my picture.
- Add the flour and whisk again for 20 seconds until combined. Make sure you whisk right to the bottom as the flour all sinks there. Pour into the baking tray.
- Bake the sponge for 10-12 mins or until firm to touch and starting to brown.
- Whilst that’s baking, prepare the following: place a sheet of baking paper (a bit bigger than the size of the baking tin) onto your work surface. Place something on the corners to hold it down if it keeps rolling up! Lightly grease the sheet with butter. Sprinkle over a generous amount of golden caster sugar if you’d like a coating on your artic roll!
- Once the sponge is cooked, remove from the oven and turn the sponge out onto the buttered baking paper. The key is to be confident with it! Carefully peel off the baking paper you’ve cooked the sponge in.
- Loosely roll up from the short side so you have a swiss roll (leaving the paper on)
- Leave it rolled up to cool COMPLETELY (takes at least 30mins, depending on where it is).
- Once cool, unroll and spread with jam.
- Unwrap the ice cream and place at one end of the sponge. Use the baking paper to help you roll! The join may overlap a bit – thats fine just push the overlapping bits of sponge together a little so it holds.
- Dont worry about making the ends neat yet. You now want to place your artic roll in the freezer for at least 30 mins to harden and make sure it holds together. If its not holding tight in the baking paper, wrap it in cling film.
- When you want to eat, remove from the freezer, unwrap, chop of the extra sponge from the ends so its nice and neat and then enjoy!!!