My Cheesy Chicken & Bacon Pasta Bake is gluten free, packed with flavour and its super quick to make! Cook the chicken and bacon, add a simple tomato sauce, stir in your pasta and bake. Then you can put your feet up whilst it bubbles away. It really is that easy!
To be honest, I’ve been avoiding pasta bakes since my coeliac diagnosis because I didn’t think gluten free pasta would be up to the job – I thought it would fall apart, go a bit soggy and there’s no way we could reheat it the next day... but **I HAVE NEWS!!** With Garofalo, I promise it works a treat. You’d never, ever guess it was gluten free.
A bit more about my fave pasta below but have a look at this first – tell me you don’t want to pinch a bit?! 😛
Which Pasta Brand Should I Buy?
I LOVE Garofalo.
Nothing compares if you ask me. It cooks perfect, there’s never any stickiness and I love their range of shapes. Available in Waitrose, Ocado or on Amazon (affliate link). Its not cheap but I really think the price makes a massive difference when it comes to gluten free pasta.
Garofalo pasta is formed through a metal forming die which gives the pasta a rough surface that allows the sauce to stick- they’re one of few manufacturers that use this method for gluten free and I really think you can tell.
Its also created in a separate factory from their regular pasta so we haven’t got to worry about cross contamination!
AND ITS GOOD COLD – I know, doesn’t sound believable with gluten free pasta, right?!
* 5 Gluten Free Pasta Tips * to help you cook it perfectly!!
(1) Use DOUBLE the amount of water
Use double the amount you’d use for “normal” gluten free pasta. It makes the pasta less sticky/gloopy if you know what I mean?! I believe this works because gf pasta is starchier
(2) Only add the pasta to the water once its *properly* boiling.
Its easy to get impatient and put it in when the water has jussttt started to simmer. Don’t!!!! haha
(3) Do the wiggle!!
As soon as your pasta is in the boiling water, reduce to a simmer and move the pasta around with a fork. Repeat this every couple of minutes to prevent it from sticking. Gluten free pasta is a clingy so-and-so.
(4) Don’t overcook it.
Over-cooked gluten free pasta tastes way worse than over-cooked “normal pasta”. Don’t test it by the time on the packet – eat it!
(5) Add a little of your pasta water to the sauce.
Literally take 2-3 tbsp of the water your pasta has cooked in and add it to your sauce – sounds weird, tastes delicious!
My Cheesy Chicken & Bacon Pasta Bake: Gluten Free!
- 200 grams of gluten free pasta I love Garofalo Gluten Free Penne for this recipe
- 1/2 onion I like white onion but up to you!
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 350 ml passata
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 ball of mozzarella usually 125g drained
- Handful of fresh basil
- 50-75 grams grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 stock cube I like Knorr Chicken Stock Pot
- 1 tsp sugar I use caster sugar but any will do
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC.
Cook the Pasta
- Boil a large pan of water. Add plenty of salt!
- Once its boiling, add the pasta and cook for 2 mins less than the time recommended on the packet.
- Drain and set aside.
Cook the Sauce (you can do this whilst the pasta is cooking)
- Chop the onion and cherry tomatoes in small pieces. Add to a frying pan and cook on a low temperature, stirring frequently until the onion is golden brown>You might want to add a little oil/water to the pan to stop the onion sticking.
- Chop the chicken and bacon into chunks and add that to the pan too. Cook until the chicken is sealed and starting to brown & the bacon is starting to get crispy.
- Add the passata, tomato puree & all of the "Seasoning" Ingredients to the pan.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally until thick. >This should take about 10 mins
Put it all together
- Add the cooked pasta and cheddar cheese to the pasta sauce. Stir through.
- Place the pasta in an ovenproof dish.
- Break up the mozzarella and scatter over the pasta.
- Chop the basil and scatter over too.
- Place into the oven for 15-20mins, or until the mozzarella is browning and the pasta sauce is bubbling. Serve!
**This post is a paid collaboration with Garofalo but as always, the view, pics and recipes are all my own. Garofalo is the only pasta brand I use and I LOVE it**