“Overnight oats” are everywhere now!! But, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sticky toffee version? It’s actually one of the nations favourite desserts so I was pretty excited to turn it into a healthy breakfast too!
There’s no added sugar in my recipe. It combines 3 INGREDIENTS: dates, mylk and oats. The “sticky toffee” element is just blended dates and mylk to form a sweet caramel – tastes INSANE.
I made a jar for my mum and she asked 55,340 million times what else went in there & how much sugar did I use. NONE! Its all date power!!
Freeze Batches of the Date Syrup – I make a big batch and freeze in an ice cube maker so I can get out 2 cubes at a time when I want to make this. Also amazing for my Nice Cream or on top of you porridge.
Topping – I love adding some pecans on top for a bit of crunch and raspberries/strawberries for the freshness
Can’t tolerate oats? Rice flakes are just as good!
Sticky Toffee Overnight Oats
- 50 grams oat/rice flakes
- 150 ml mylk – any type you like
Date Caramel (this is going to make about 12-15 portions but can be frozen for when you want it)
- 130 grams dates – approx 25 dates – cheap ones are fine!
- 200 ml mylk – any you like
- Handful of raspberries/berries
- Spoonful of yoghurt – I like Koko but any would work
- Handful of pecans/walnuts/mixed nuts – topping
- If you dates are hard (not easy to squish in your fingers), place them in a bowl and cover with hot water for 10-15mins. Drain.
- Blend the dates and 200ml of mylk until smooth – takes 3 to 5mins
- Place 2 tsp of the date caramel into the bottom of a jar.
- In seperate mug, mix together 200ml of mylk and the rice flakes. Pour into the jar.
- Add an extra couple of tsp of date caramel to the top.
- Seal the jar and place in the fridge overnight.
- When you’re ready for breakfast, top with a spoon of yoghurt, nuts & berries if you’d like to.
- Either warm up in the microwave or eat cold. I used to take mine to work – so they were at room temp by the time I ate them & this was good too!!
- soften it for a few seconds in the microwave and then use as per the instructions above or
- just crush up the frozen cube with a fork and just use like this. It will defrost overnight anyway!