The convenience of grab and go lunch options is often something that us coeliacs/gluten freers struggle with. I’ve compiled a list of options for us to make it easier to pick where to head to when we’re in desperate need of some lunch!
3 THINGS TO NOTE:
(1) This guide contains mains only – I’ve left off the chocolate bars, crisps etc and kept it to sandwiches, salads and more filling options.
(2) I’ve also left out the supermarkets because I think we’re all a bit more familiar with them?!
(3) THE MOST IMPORTANT – ALL of the companies below state there is a risk of cross contamination at their restaurants because they do serve gluten-containing food on the premises. With the exception of Pret, I am personally comfortable to eat in all of them but make sure you ask the appropriate questions (mainly about cross contamination risk) whilst in-store to make sure you are too!
Top of the page because there are sooo gluten free options that I can’t write them all here – from salads and roasted veg to nuggets chicken burgers, vegan burgers, curries and fries.
Here’s their website (click on the bottom left for allergen filters)
WE JUST NEED MORE LEON’S!!! Need them all over the country… Brentwood first please!
Marks and Spencer
Made Without Range:
- Roast Chicken Sandwich
- Egg and Cress Sandwich
- Fajita Chicken Wrap
- Crayfish and Mango Salad
- Hot Smoked Salmon and New Potato Salad
- King Prawn Pots
- Mexican Chicken Pot
- Apple & Peanut Butter
- Falafal & Dip
- Pakoras & Dip
- Sesame Prawn Salad
- King Prawns on Edamame
- Beetroot, Rocket and Feta
- Butternut and Lentils
- Tuna Avo Sushi Wrap
Mcdonald’s always causes some controversy with some not willing to trust it but I’ve never had a problem and my coeliac friends have all seemed to be safe there too! Here’s what I have:
- Chips (dairy free)
- This is from Mcdonalds website: “The items on our menu that are free from ingredients containing gluten include our French Fries, which are cooked in dedicated fryers using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil”
- I have heard some stories about the oil being filtered and reused from cooking nuggets/non-gf food but its definitely not something I’ve come across in my local stores. It would contradict the info on their own website but its always worth asking in your store if you’re nervous.
- Veggie dippers meal (dairy free – comes without a bun)
- From Mcdoanlds website: “The Pepper & Pesto Dipper itself has no gluten containing ingredients and is cooked in a separate fryer, away from other ingredients containing gluten. “
- Burger without a bun – we can have big mac sauce, gherkins, ketchup, salad and the cheese! You can obviously rake your own bun but I’m never that organised haha
- Vegan Burger without a bun
- Any milkshake (chocolate, strawberry, vanilla or banana)
Caffe Nero (allergen guide)
- Chicken and Rice soup (contains dairy)
- Italian Tomato & Basil Soup (dairy free)
- Supergreen Soup (dairy free)
- Gluten Free Ham and Cheese Panini
**PLEASE NOTE – Pret says they have a HIGH level of cross contamination risk**
Sandwiches and Rice Bowls
- Smashed Avo Open GF Sandwich
- Smoked Salmon & Soft Cheese Open GF Sandwich
- Chipotle Chicken Burrito Hot Rice Bowl
- Red Thai Chicken Curry Hot Rice Bowl
- Spicy Pepper, Meatless Meatball & Feta Hot Rice Bowl
- Sweet Potato Chilli Hot Rice Bowl
- Sweet Potato Wedges
- Chicken, Broccoli & Brown Rice
- Chicken Laksa Soup
- EAT.’s Chicken Pot Pie (excludes pot pie top))
- Pea & Mint Soup
- Pret’s Chicken Katsu Curry Soup
- Pret’s Mushroom Risotto Soup
- Red Thai Veg Soup
- Souper Tomato
- Chef’s Italian Chicken Salad
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Salad Bowl
- Crayfish & Avo No Bread
- Egg & Spinach Protein Pot
- Humous and Falafel Mezze
- Salmon & Mango Salad Bowl
- Smoked Salmon Protein Box
- Smoked Salmon & Egg Protein Pot
- Tamari & Ginger Chicken Salad Bowl
- Tuna Nicoise Salad
- Tricolore Side Salad
- Rocket, Roasted Tomato & Italian Cheese Side Salad
There’s a range of gluten free sandwiches too including ‘cheese and tomato’ and an ‘egg mayo’ and a paella salad. They have loads of cereal bars/snack options including Heck Sausages.
My local Boots have removed all food so I haven’t got many pics, sorry guys! Also, just a warning, from what I’ve heard lots of their sushi’s now contain gluten so they’re a no go.
The Ones to Avoid…
I’m yet to find ANY gluten free options in the following places (unless you count an overly ripe banana and a bag of crisps…)
- Costa – I think they’re starting a partnership with M&S so hopefully some options will appear but for now it seems all the salads and sarnies have been removed from the menu!!!!