Gluten Free Baked Wraps
This idea came from the one and only, Mrs Hinch. I’ve just made it gluten free and added some of my own variations 😉 Mrs Hinch actually shared my variations on her stories!!! I had a big, big smile on my face that day haha.
The “standard” version is ham, a slightly runny egg and melted cheese, all hidden in this beautiful little parcel below….
We have a baked wrap at least once a week now 🙂 Ok, ok…so its more like 3-4 times a week but shhhh!! Takes approx 2 mins to put together, 15 mins in the oven and you’ve got yourself a super simple meal.
Breakfast, lunch or dinner!
I’ve included the basic recipe below, but once you’ve made that one 50 million times (yes, its that addictive), you might want to change it up with one of the following. Don’t ask me to pick a favourite, they all play a big part in my life right now :’)
- Brekkie Baked Wrap – swap the ham for cooked bacon, add a couple of cherry tomatoes and 2 teaspoons of baked beans and taaa dahh!
- Pizza Baked Wrap – add some pepperoni, oregano, and a squeeze of tomato puree
- Veggie Baked Wrap– add chopped veg (roasted or raw). Peppers, cherry tomatoes, courgette, spinach or onion works really well.
- Fajita Baked Wrap – take out the egg, add your usual fajita mix (salsa, cheese, cooked chicken, peppers, fajitas seasoning). Its TOO good.
- Hunters Chicken Baked Wrap – take out the egg, add cooked chicken, bacon, BBQ sauce and some cherry tomatoes.
Lets be honest, you could open your fridge, pick any 3 ingredients, chuck them in and I’d probably love it!!! The perfect “use everything up” kind of recipe.
BUT WHATEVER VERSION YOU DO – don’t overfill it on your first attempt!! It makes it harder to wrap it!
The Brekkie Version
Shared on Mrs Hinch’s stories – best insta day ever?! haha
The Fajita Version
Now let’s get cracking with the recipe.
Oven Times: I consider myself a baked wrap expert, having had at least 3 week for the last year. It took me quite a few attempts to master the oven timing to get the perfect egg – a slightly runny yolk (one that doesn’t cause too much mess when you bite into the wrap!) with a set white.
In my house, that’s precisely 17 mins in a preheated oven. Your oven might behave slightly differently so I’ve included a couple of little cooking tips in the recipe below.
Ultimately, don’t worry because:
- (1) if you over cook the egg, the melted cheese still makes for a dreamy meal and you can reduce the cooking time next time or
- (2) if you under cook it, you can whack it back in the oven for a few mins (even after its been cut in half)
Gluten Free Baked Wrap
- 1 gluten free wrap – the bigger the better
- 1 egg
- A couple of slices of ham
- A good sprinkle of cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to 180oc
- Take a piece of tin foil, slightly bigger than your wrap. Spray/brush thoroughly with oil. >This step is super important. Your wrap will stick if you don't use enough oil.
- Lay your wrap in the centre of the foil.
- Break up your ham to form a well in the middle of the wrap. Scatter cheese ontop.
- Break the egg into the middle of the well. Don't panic if it starts running everywhere… just move to the next step quickly!
- Fold in the left and right hand sides (like the picture). Don't press too hard otherwise you'll break your yolk!
- Fold in one end.
- Wrap up that end with the tin foil to hold it in place.
- Repeat for the other end.
- Place onto a baking tray, in the oven for 17 mins.
- Remove the wrap from the oven and open up the tin foil. >All oven temperatures can vary slightly, so to check your egg is cooked, lightly press the top of the wrap. (a) If it feels firm, the egg is done. (b) If it feels very liquidy inside, the egg probably isn't done. Place back into the oven with the foil slightly open for 2 mins. They won't need any longer than that!!
- Cut your wrap in half.>Don't panic if it looks underdone. You can't put them flat back into the oven as the middle will just go everywhere but you can do this.. Stand the two halves with the cut side facing up, wrap foil around the bottom of the two to keep them standing up and place back in the oven for 2 mins max.
- Leave to cool for at least 5 mins before eating. The cheese gets SO SO hot!!!