2 Ways with Toast: Savoury or Sweet?
- Savoury: Shakshuka ft Cheesy Toast and a really runny yolk for dipping
- Sweet: Jammy Dodger Brioche French Toast with stacks of fruit & maple syrup
But This Part Isn’t a Choice:
So whilst “Savoury or Sweet?” might be a tough question to answer, the choice of bread is not.
Pick Promise. Why? Well…
- I’ve never had a batch with holes. Rare for gluten free, right?!
- Some gluten free breads need toasting to stop them falling apart and taste nice. This one doesn’t!! It tastes JUST as good as “normal” bread, straight out the packet.
- It’s high in fibre. Fibre is something I keep a close eye on as my stomach suffers if I don’t get enough… and it’s actually very difficult to get the NHS recommended amount of 30g a day for an adult. Take the white loaf for example, in 2 slices you get 15.8g of fibre!!!!
- It’s dairy free, and the size of the slices are massive!
And if that’s not enough… it’s produced in a dedicated gluten free bakery which has over 50 years of craft baking expertise. You’re in safe hands.
They have a HUGE range – from their White Loaf (I absolutely had to pick one fav, this would be it) to their Choc Chip Brioche rolls and Super Soft White Sandwich rolls (dreamy for making your own Subway).
Click here to see all the options. Available in Sainsburys and **NOW OCADO TOO!!!**
My Shakshuka with Cheesy Toast Soldiers
- 2 slices Promise bread – I used the White Soft Loaf, but whichever you fancy!
- Cheese of your choice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp mixed herbs/oregano
- 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 cherry tomatoes – or a squeeze of tomato puree
- Place the peppers, paprika and herbs into a pan. Heat until softened.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and half a mug of water. Simmer until thick (like a a pasta sauce – takes about 5 mins).
- Make a well into the middle of the sauce. Crack the egg into the well.
- Grate the cheese onto the toast.
- Place the toast and the frying pan under the grill for a couple of mins, until the egg white is set and the cheese is melted.If your pan doesn’t fit under your grill, just put a lid on your saucepan and let it simmer away for 5 mins.
Jammy Dodger French Toast
- 2 slices Promise Brioche – or any Promise bread you fancy!
- 1 egg
- Splash of milk – dairy free if necessary
- 1 tsp sweetener
- As much Jam as you'd like
- Heat a pan to a medium-high temp. Add a dash of oil.
- Whisk together the egg, sweetener and milk until smooth.
- Take each piece of bread and soak in the mixture for at least 5 seconds on each side.
- Place each piece of bread into the frying pan. Flip after 20-30 seconds. Don't be tempted to move them around in the meantime! You wan't a nicely browning piece of french toast!!
- Cut a heart out of one piece.
- Spread a generous amount of jam over the other slice and sandwich the two together.
- Drizzle with maple syrup, sprinkle with icing sugar, decorate with extra fruit… and eat!!
**This is a paid collaboration with Promise but as always, the views and recipes are my own. You guys know how much I love Promise!!**