10 Tips for Bloating
There’s 2 parts to this post…
(1) 10 tips for bloating: all things that help me to feel more human when I’m bloated to the point of looking 10 (yes 10) months pregnant and;
(2) 4 other bits I wanted to mention that help my tummy stay happy!
Obviously this all comes with the caveat of “I’m no doctor!!”, its just things that have helped me. If you’re struggling, definitely go see your GP 🙂
PART 1: 10 things to help when you’re feeling bloated
This list is in order of how I do things… heat, tablets, drinks, distract/rest, eat, probiotics.
1) Hot Water Bottle
I surgically attach it to myself. Couldn’t be without it.
2) Hot Shower/Bath
- Yep, heat really helps me. It relaxes my muscles and calms my mind (equally as important… stress is not good for my bloating!!).
- I love the Neal’s Yard relaxation type products & Shobu shower bombs for an extra special treat.
- I stick to Buscopan – definitely takes the edge off the pain.
- My friends also highly recommend activated charcoal & Windeze tablets but I’m yet to get myself to Holland and Barrett.
- Just to warn you, Boots own brand IBS relief tablets contain lactose so no good for us dairy-freers.
- Personally (unless glutened), I avoid drinking lots of water as it seems to make me feel worse. I stick to a little hot water with a slice of lemon & a few cm cubes of fresh ginger.
- Loads of people finds peppermint tea is really helpful but I don’t like the taste so I have to be feeling reeaaally desperate to get that out the cupboard!!
Watch some terrible Netflix series or Housewives of Orange County, play with your dogs, flick through the gram… whatever it might be, just try not to think about it. It will fade.
If the pain is too bad to distract yourself, can you nap? Generally, I struggle to nap in the day but when I’m feeling this rubbish, I get that hot water bottle on my stomach, curl up and try to nod off.
Search Youtube for “sleep stories” if you struggle like me.
7) Fasting/Smaller Portions
To be honest, I try to avoid eating until my stomach is starting to settle (I’m only talking half a day ish at most). When I do eat, I stick to small portions the BRAT diet…
8) BRAT Diet
Stands for bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.
- I believe these foods are known to be “better” because they are low in protein, fat, and fibre – makes them easier to digest & gives the gut a chance to rest. There’s loads more info on Google if you want to know more and see the research into this.
- For me, its rice or toast. Bananas are too high sugar for my tum when its struggling and applesauce is weird!
Most of the banana gifs were too rude so I’m having to go with this… haha
9) Mindful Eating
Whilst eating that rice or toast, I try to channel my inner Madeline Shaw and eat slowly (so you swallow less air) and chew each mouthful as many times as humanly possible (so its easier for your body to digest!). I should do this all year round but I tend to only bring it out for bloated days haha.
To help restore the balance after all that stress!!
PART 2: Couple of other belly thoughts
- Fibre – everyone’s different but for me, I make sure I get approx 20-25g of fibre a day. It really helps my stomach to stay happy (NHS guidance 25-30g). Have you ever tracked your fibre? If not, I bet you’ll be surprised at how little you’re getting. It’s worth looking into.
- Gum – I avoid gum as it seems to be a trigger for me. I guess because it produces acid in your stomach.
- Fizzy – I LOVE a glass of Pespi Max but I try to avoid drinking toooo much as it definitely doesn’t make my stomach any happier. Guess its all that gas?! haha
- SIBO & Low Fodmap Diet – if you’re bloating A LOT and finding it all very uncomfortable, I’d suggest googling these two words (and obviously going to see your doctor).
- I was diagnosed with SIBO and was prescribed a course of antibiotics to treat it. This dramatically reduced my bloating
- Elements of a Low Fodmap diet have also helped me e.g reducing my onion & garlic intake.
- Both of these topics could do with a whole separate blog post but thought I’d put them out there for you to have a little research into. And as always, if you want more info you can always DM/msg me.
Was this helpful? How many of my 10 TIPS FOR BLOATING do you use? Got any more for me? Msg me!!