Chilli Mac & Cheese
Gluten Free Chilli Mac and Cheese: what you get when you combine two delicious comfort foods. I promise, as soon as you’ve tried this it’ll become a weekly staple in your house. Its the dream.
Its a ONE POT recipe. Yep, I even cook the pasta in the chilli. Works a treat!! Here’s how you do it…
MY FAVOURITE PASTA: Gluten Free Garofalo. By far. I buy mine in Waitrose or via Amazon and its the best. You genuinely wouldn’t know its gluten free.
The science-y bit: Its formed through a metal forming die which gives the pasta a rough surface that allows the sauce to stick- they’re one of few manufacturers that use this method for gluten free and I really think you can tell. Its also created in a separate factory from their regular pasta so we haven’t got to worry about cross contamination!
Chilli Mac and Cheese
- 250 grams gluten free Pasta – use Garafalo!! – any shape you like
- 500 grams beef mince
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 tin plum/chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 beef gluten free beef stock cube/pot – I use Knorr Rich Stock Pot
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp asafoetida – this is a low fodmap version of onion/garlic powder – you could use that instead if you can tolerate it
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp ground chilli powder – optional
- 200 grams cheese – dairy free if you need! I recommend Violife or Asda own Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Brown the mince on a medium temperature.
- Slice the pepper and celery into small cubes. Add to the pan and soften for 3-4mins.
- Add the tomato puree, stock cube & spice mix. Stir through and leave to cook through for 2 mins.
- Add 1/2 litre of boiling water and a tin of tomatoes. Bring to the boil.
- Add the pasta & reduce to a simmer. At this stage, it'll look like the picture below. Cover for 10-15mins until the pasta is al dente (only JUST cooked).>It will look a bit strange. Its watery and it sounds weird to add uncooked pasta to the chilli… but trust me, its delish!
- Remove the lid, add the kidney beans and stir through. Leave to simmer without the lid for 3-4 mins or until the excess water has evaporated! >It should look something like my picture (very slightly more watery than a usual chilli because you're going to bake it in a sec and you don't want it to dry out).
- Add 1/2 the cheese and stir through.
- Pour into a oven proof dish. Scatter the rest of the cheese over the top and place into the oven for 10 mins or until the cheese has all melted.
It actually freezes really well too – I got close to eating all this lot myself (not joking ;)) but I divided up the rest & put in Tupperwares in the freezer.
Want more pasta recipes? Here’s my Creamy, Dairy-free Carbonara!
Dairy free? Want to know what my fav cheese is? Click here for my Dairy Free Guide!