The Ultimate Gluten Free Christmas Chocolate Guide 2022
Here’s my EASY GUIDE to Gluten Free Christmas Chocolates!! Its split into 4 sections:
(1) Gluten free – tins
(2) Gluten free – other chocolates
(3) Gluten and dairy free
(4) Not gluten free!!!! The ones to avoid
As always, please check the labels for yourself just incase anything has changed or supermarkets have made a mistake on their website info
*CHANGES FROM 2021*
These are all pictured in the sections below…
New products that are gluten free:
- Cadbury Dairy Milk Advent Bar
- Quality Street bars
These are the ones I want to flag as its soooooo easy to make a mistake:
- Snowballs bar – bags of snowballs are fine but the bars are a may contain.
- Malteser vs Kit Kat – both in red bags and similar figures so its easy to pick up the wrong thing
- Kinder Joy eggs are not gluten free but the Kinder Surprise ones are. They look almost identical.
- Baileys selection box – seems to be two on sale now, one with gluten, one without… be careful!!
(1) GLUTEN FREE – Tins
Cadbury Roses – all safe!
Cadbury Hero’s – all safe EXCEPT the dinky decker. They have confirmed the dinky deckers are made on a different production line so there’s no CC risk
Quality street – all safe excluding the John Lewis special edition “Crispy Truffle Bite”, although I’m not sure if they’re doing it this year!
Cadbury Dairy Milk Mixed Chocolate Chunks Tin
(2) GLUTEN FREE – Other Chocs
- Classics Mixed Chocolate Chunks Pouch
- Snow Balls
- Buttons in Festive Tube (there used to be a Freddo Faces Tube too but not sure if it exists anymore)
- Winter Orange Bar
- Advent Bar
- Festive Friends
- Chocolate Orange Milk Crispy Oranges
Lots of Lindt chocolates contain barley malt extract. Sometimes this ingredient can be considered gluten free because the level of gluten is less than 20 parts per million. Lindt’s own website implies their levels are gluten free but to my knowledge, Coeliac UK are still in the process of confirming whether this is accurate.
As a result, if you see barley malt extract in the list of ingredients on a Lindt product, I will not be considering it safe until we hear back.
These are the safe bits I’ve found:
- White or strawberries and cream truffle balls
- Nuxor (milk and dark)
- White Santa
- Festive Orange
- Santa’s – be careful!!! they look like the Malteser Reindeers which are NOT gluten free. Also, just wanted to flag that we can have the Kit Kat advent calendar too!!
- Grand Ferrero Rocher Milk
- Grand Ferrero Rocher Dark
- Christmas Edition
- Surprise Figures
- Christmas Egg – NOT the Kinder Joy eggs
- Kinder Chocolate Small Bars Multipack
Matchmakers – Quality Street editions
- Cool Mint
Quality Street Bars
- Orange Crunch
- Purple One
- Golden Caramel with Honey & Almond Nougat
- Christmas Selection
Walnut Whip Selection Box
Bendick’s Mint Collection
Baileys Chocolate Collection
After Eight Dark Mint Chocolate Gift Tin
- Favourites Strawberry Delight
- Favourites the Purple One
(3) GLUTEN & DAIRY FREE
Cookie Dough Reindeer
Moo Chocolates – white and milk
Nomo Caramel Choc Drops Box
Booja Booja Selection Box – there’s a whole variety of flavours now! Expensive but so good.
(4) NOT GLUTEN FREE
Celebrations – Cross contamination risk with all of them
Baileys Choc Collection Box – no longer gf 🙁
Thorntons – think EVERYTHING is a may contain now
Lindt – See the Lindt products in the gluten free section for a bit more info for what I think is/isn’t gluten free with Lindt. My “isn’t gluten free” list includes:
- ANY of the plain milk chocolate items – e.g. tree decs, red truffle balls, bear, reindeer.
- Any of the truffle ball flavours not listed in the section above (i.e. we can only have strawberries and cream or white choc)
- The snowflake or snowdrops
Ferrero Rocher – any tin/size, except the giant ones!
Terrys Oranges and Bar – all a “may contain gluten”. Only allowed the ‘Crispy Oranges’ in the first section.
MilkyBar Characters – may contain
Galaxy Truffles – may contain gluten
Cadbury – most of these are may contain gluten
- Winter Chocolate Bars –
- Chocolate Noisette Jingly Bells & Hazelnut Creme Jingly Bells
- Chocolate House Kit
- Bauble Tree Decorations (all size packs)
- Little Robins (both flavours)
- Winter Collection Milk Chocolate Box
- Puds Egg
- Darkmilk Pralines
- Festive Favourites
- Chocolate Xmas Bar 850g
Malteser Reindeer and Truffles
Nestle Munchies Festive Tube
Smarties – all of them are “may contain” or contain gluten
Quality Street Intrigue Range – all “may contain gluten”
Tony’s Christmas Chocs – all may contain
Kinder Joy Egg – the “Joy” egg is not gluten free but the “surprise” eggs are
M&M’s Milk Chocolate Christmas Santa Shape with Mini Chocolate – May contain gluten
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Dj Santa’s Disco Lights – may contain gluten
After Eight Dark Mint Chocolate Sticks – may contain gluten