Gluten Free Katsu
Servings: 6 people (at least!)
- 1 small courgette - or half a large one
- 1 apple - I used Cox but any apple will be fine I'm sure!
- 2 small carrots - or 1 large!
- 1 onion - optional
Spice Mix (if you haven't got any of these, use 5 tsp of mild curry powder)
- 1 tsp ginger - fresh or dried
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp corriander
- 2 tsp chilli powder - to your taste!
- 3 cloves of garlic or 1 tsp of asafoetida - to your taste!
- 700 ml chicken stock - I use 1 and a half stock cubes/stock pots with 700ml of water
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 generous tbsp gf soy (aka tamari)
Chop all the veg into small cubes - as small as possible.
Add to a saucepan with all the spices and a little spray of oil.>Use a saucepan, not a frying pan as you're about to put quite a lot of stock in it! Cook on a medium temperature for 5 mins, until the veg starts to soften.>If the veg is just sticking to the bottom of the pan and you're not keen on adding more oil, add a dash of water.
Add the "Other" ingredients (gf soy, honey and stock) and stir through.
Simmer for 25-30mins, or until the veg is really really soft! The liquid will reduce by at least half.
Transfer to a blender and whizz until smooth. >Remember, if your blender hasn't got a steam valve, you'll need to wait for the mix to cool before blending (if you don't, the lid for the blender will get suctioned on and its impossible to remove!!)
If your sauce is a little too thin, pour back into the saucepan and boil until thick.