A light, fluffy banana cupcake with a secret caramel centre. Topped with lashings of butter icing, crumbled Stroopwafels, dried banana & a caramel drizzle. Heaven.
Want to make you’re own caramel sauce? Check out the one I’ve used in my Twix recipe. 3 ingredients & super duper simple. We’ve always got a jar in my fridge, ready to be eaten!
Gluten Free Banoffee Cupcakes
- 140 grams gluten free self raising flour
- 140 grams butter – I use Flora spread (dairy free if necessary)
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 50 grams light brown soft sugar
- 2 medium banana – mashed with a fork until smooth
- 2 eggs
- 125 grams butter – I use Flora spread (dairy free if necessary)
- 250 grams icing sugar
- 1 jar caramel sauce
- Dried banana – optional
- 2 Stroopwafels – optional – you can get gf, df Stroopwafels in Sainsburys (brand: Consenza)
- Preheat your oven to 180oC.
- Fill a cupcake baking tray with cases.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter & sugar until fully combined.>You’re looking for the mix to be paler, smooth & creamy! Most people don't whisk it enough at this stage. I use an electric whisk for 2 mins.
- Crack all the eggs into a separate bowl & beat together.
- Add the beaten eggs & flour to the butter/sugar and whisk together until JUST combined (20-30 secs).
- Add the mashed banana and whisk again for 5 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake case to approx 2/3 full.
- Bake for 17-20 mins.>You’re looking for them to be firm on top but springy to touch and a knife/skewer poked into the middle of the cupcakes should come out relatively clean!
- Remove the cupcakes from the baking tray. Leave to cool completely before decorating.
- Whisk together the butter & icing sugar until smooth and creamy. Place into the fridge until you're ready to use.>I use an electric whisk for approx 2-3mins. Start slowly otherwise you’ll end up with icing sugar everywhere!! Then go to full speed.
- Cut a small amount of the middle of each cupcake out. Spoon a small amount of the caramel sauce to each hole.
- Pipe your butter icing onto the cupcakes. Add dried banana, crumbled stroopwafel and some caramel drizzle.>I like to add a chunkier piece of the stroopwafel ontop, so that it sticks out like an ice cream with a flake! Stroopwafels are better when warmed so if you'd like to do the same, follow these steps when you are ready to serve 1) put the Stroopwafel into the microwave for 10 seconds 2) allow to cool slightly ) poke into each cupcakes and serve quickly so the wafels are still warm and the buttercream doesn't melt!!