Caramel Apple Pie Cupcakes
My Apple Pie Cupcakes: apple pie flavoured fluffy sponge & velvetty cinnamon buttercream, topped with sweet sticky apple and lashings of caramel sauce.
You would NEVER know they’re gluten, dairy free. Mega easy, tasty and they look really impressive!! Dare you to try 😉
My Inspiration: Its Alzeimer’s Cupcake Day today, so I’ve made these Apple pie Cupcakes in honour of my Nana.
The Toffee Apple Cake is her fav from the coffee shop at my parents garden centre so I thought I’d make a very special cupcake version for everyone at her home to share. Apparently, they went down very well!!
Want them to be extra caramelly like the picture below?!? Make some of the caramel from my twix recipe, leave it to cool down completely in the fridge (20-40mins depending on how impatient you’re feeling & then add a tsp to each! It won’t be as thick as the usual twix but it’ll be perfect for these cupcakes. Enjoy!!
Caramel Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 225 grams gluten free self raising flour – if it hasn't got Xanthum gum already in it, add 1 tsp
- 225 grams spread – I use Flora (dairy free)
- 225 grams caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder – check its gluten free
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp cinnamon/apple pie spice mix – I make up an apple pie spice mix that consists of 4 parts cinnamon, 1 nutmeg, 1 ginger, 1 all spice. You could make up your own with any combination of these or, if not, just cinnamon will work a treat!
- 2 regular eating apples
- 2 tbsp caster/golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp butter/spread – I use Flora (dairy free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon/apple pie spice mix
- 250 grams spread – I use Flora (dairy free)
- 500 grams icing sugar
- Pinch cinnamon/apple pie spice mix – to your taste!
- Preheat your oven to 180oC.
- Fill a cupcake baking tray with cases.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter & sugar until fully combined. >You’re looking for the mix to be paler, smooth & creamy! I use an electric whisk for 2 mins.
- Crack all the egggs into a separate bowl & beat together.
- Add the beaten eggs, flour, cinnamon/apple pie spice mix and baking powder to the butter/sugar and whisk together until JUST combined (20-30seconds). >Don’t over whisk, otherwise you’ll lose the air bubbles & they won’t be quite so fluffy!
- Fill each cupcake case to approx 2/3 full.
- Bake for 17-20mins. >You’re looking for them to be firm on top but springy to touch and a knife/skewer poked into the middle of the cupcakes should come out relatively clean!
- Remove the cupcakes from the baking tray. Leave to cool completely before decorating.
Apple Topping (you can do this whilst the cupcakes are in the oven)
- Cut the apples into small cubes.
- In a mug/small bowl, mix together a half a mug of warm water and 1 tsp of cornflour.
- Place the cornflour mixture, sugar, butter & cinnamon into a pan. Heat on a medium temperature for 3-4 mins, until the sauce has thickened.
- Leave to cool in the fridge! Must be completely cool otherwise your buttercream will melt.
- Whisk together the butter, icing sugar & cinnamon/apple pie spice mix until smooth and creamy. >I use an electric whisk for approx 2-3mins. Start slowly otherwise you’ll end up with icing sugar everywhere!! Then go to full speed.
- Two options:(1) spoon a tbsp of butter icing onto each cupcake and roughly spread around (use the back of your spoon/a knife). Don’t worry about being neat as you can cover it in apple.(2) if you’re feeling fancy, add the butter icing to a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes in any style you like. Theres tons of youtube videos for how to do this!
- Place some of the apple & a tiny bit of the thickened sauce onto each cupcake. Sprinkle on a little more cinnamon.Don’t overdo the sauce as it can make the butter icing run a little – I’d recommend approx 1/2 tsp on each.