How to Have an Eggcellent Easter: Gluten, Dairy Free Style!
The Easter bunny is almost here guys!!!! As a self-proclaimed chocoholic, I couldn’t let this holiday go by without a foodie feast.
(1) RECIPES – I’ve put together fun, easy recipes to make to help you to celebrate with me!!
(2) EASTER FOOD LIST – There’s also a list of Easter foods that you might not have known were gluten free (some dairy free too).
DAIRY FREE – the base of all of the recipes below is gluten & dairy free, however I’ve added some creme eggs to 2 of them but don’t let that mean you scroll straight past!! I’ve included a dairy free adaptation note to each of those to give you some ideas of what you could use as a replacement!
- I used my “Extra Healthy Banana Pancake” batter.
- To make the feet & ears, I just added a spoonful of batter to the frying pan and used the back of the spoon to drag out one side into a point.
- The feet are decorated with slices of banana & Moo dairy-free choc chips. The sun is also made from banana!
- You could serve with the strawberry carrots… coming tomorrow!!
CREME EGG ROCKY ROAD
- Make your fav rocky road recipe and then push pieces of creme egg into the top.
- My rocky road recipe:
- I mixed chunky bits of gluten free digestives (available in most supermarket) & mini marshmellows (most brands are gf) with just enough melted choc to coat everything. My fav dairy free choc for this is Moo.
- I poured the mix in a glass casserole dish, lined with foil so it was easy to lift out once set. If your dish is too big, you can also use the foil to build a divider down the middle!
- Tip: once the chocolate is set, use a hot knife to make it easier to cut up your rocky road – either run under hot water tap or fill a bowl/mug with boiling water from the kettle and place the knife in for 1 min before cutting.
- DAIRY FREE ADAPATION: Rocky road also looks great with ANY of the dairy free items from the “Easter Food List” in Part 2 of this blog post – Rythm 108 truffle eggs, Rowntree Easter gummy shapes, broken up free from chocolate bunnies. Have fun with it!!
CREME EGG COOKIE CUPS
- Make the cookie dough following this recipe, minus the apple pie flavourings. I added broken pieces of easter egg/choc chips instead.
- Roll the dough into golf ball sizes.
- Spray a muffin tin with frylight/oil. Place 1 ball into each hole.
- Bake at 180oC for 20mins
- Whilst that’s baking, cut your creme eggs into half with a sharp knife. You may want to warm the knife under hot water to make this easier!
- QUICKLY remove the cookies from the oven and push a creme egg half int each one.
- Leave to cool completely, then run a spoon around the outside of each cookie and scoop it out
- DAIRY FREE ADAPTION – this works really well with chocolate bunny ears or legs poking out of the top! You can buy these in the free from aisle of most supermarkets. Note, the bunnies will melt quickly so its best to let the cookies cool for 1-2mins once removed from the oven, before adding the chocolate.
HOMEMADE GF DF OREO EGGS
- Freeze your egg moulds for 10 mins until cold.
- Spray with oil/frylight and dab off the excess with kitchen roll.
- Melt half your chocolate (I recommend around 200g of chocolate for 30-40 eggs).
- Add about 1/2 a tsp of chocolate to each hole and spread around. Freeze for 15 mins.
- Remove from the freezer & hold to the light to see if there’s any weak spots/holes. Melt the rest of your chocolate and fill the holes. Freeze again for 15mins.
- Crush half a box of gf oreos until its a combination of breadcrumbs and slightly bigger bits so you get a crunch in each egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 100g of butter (I use Flora dairy free) with 200g of icing sugar. Mix in the oreos.
- Take the egg moulds out the freezer & pop out all of the chocolate shells. Fill with oreo buttercream. Don’t overfill otherwise it’ll get messy! Push together two halves and place into a bowl. Repeat for all the shells.
- Place in the freezer until you’re ready to eat!
- You can also refrigerate but I think they’re best from frozen as they’re less sticky – the buttercream doesn’t really freeze anyway.
- Break an Easter Egg into two and fill with ice cream and all your fav toppings.
- The egg on the right is dairy free too! I’ve used Asda free from brownie bites, Moo honeycomb bunny choc & a homemade caramel egg (the caramel comes from my twix recipe).
- For more gluten&/dairy free ideas, have a look at some of the bits from the list in Part 2 of this blog post – the “Easter Food List”!!
TOFFEE APPLE, HOT CROSS BREAD & BUTTER PUDDING
Difficult to say, easy to make! I’ve written out a full recipe for this one. Click here to see!!
CARROTS CUPCAKES (strawberry & Oreo)
- Cupcake: my fav Tesco recipe here – I just substitute in dairy free butter (Flora Freedom) and gluten free flour! This creates 6 large cupcakes.
- Once cooked, scoop out a tsp of cake from the middle to create a hole for the strawberry to sit into (you can see in the pics)
- Buttercream: Mix together 100g of butter with 200g of icing sugar. Coat the top of the cupcake with buttercream (like the picture)
- Soil: Crush half a packet of gf Oreos and crumble over the top of the buttercream.
- Carrots: Melt 100g of white chocolate over a bain marie. Add some orange food colouring
- Warning – you need to add a TINY bit of colouring at a time otherwise the chocolate will spoil and be unusable.
- The other way to prevent this from happening is to run the pot/tube of colouring under the hot tap to warm it before adding to the warm chocolate
- Do not freeze the strawberries to speed up the chocolate setting process – it makes the strawberries all mushy! Put them in the fridge or allow the choc to set at room temp.
- Want to add the lines across the carrots? Save back a bit of coloured, melted choc. Add a few drops more food colouring so its a little darker and use a toothpick to draw on lines!
(2) EASTER FOOD LIST:
Here’s a few bits you might not have known you can have:
- Cadbury creme eggs & twisted bags
- Cadbury caramel eggs (bars are may contain)
- Reese Eggs
- Mini Eggs
- Smarties Mini Eggs (regular smarties contain)
- Milkybar eggs (bars are may contain)
- Galaxy Golden Eggs
- Lindt White & Dark Bunnies
- M&M Eggs
Coeliacs & Dairy-freers
- M&S Easter Percy pigs ?
- Hotel Chocolat free from bunnies
- Rhythm108 truffle eggs
- Haribo Easter fun mix
- Rowntree Easter mix